Event Services


General FAQ

What is the difference between "reservation" and "event" time?

Reservation Time is the total time a client has access to the event space for their reservation. This includes any time necessary for setup and tear-down or cleanup.

Event Time is the start and end time for when the meeting or event is expected to take place. This time is usually what is advertised to attendees or participants.

Can I/Caterer/Event Coordinator have access to my confirmed Event Space prior to my reservation time?

No. Access to the event or meeting space will begin at the reservation time. In many cases, the room may not be ready or available and may still be in transition to prepare for your scheduled time. In some cases, other events or meetings may still have access to the room.

We strongly encourage clients to request enough prep time prior to the event. However, if access is granted, hourly rates for the space will be added to the reservation charges.

Can I access the A/V Booth in the room I reserve?

Up to two people from your group may enter the A/V Booth while accompanied by your Event Assistant. Only our staff is able to manipulate the A/V in our facility.

Do I need to pick up a key for my room reservation?

No. Event Services does not provide room keys. Event Assistants are responsible for opening room doors at the scheduled reservation time unless the room is on our automatic lock system, in which case they will unlock and lock according to your reservation time. We encourage clients to verify the reservation time indicated on their Final Reservation Summary which is sent out a couple weeks before your event.

Can I use the Roethke Auditorium (KNE 130) Green Room for my event?

Use of the Green Room is only included for a reservation in KNE 130. Please specify that you would like to have the Green Room with your KNE 130 reservation since it is not automatically added.

How do I get disability accommodations for my event?

Our buildings have ADA access to and throughout the building.
For other specific disability accommodations, please contact the Disability Services Offices to make arrangements and coordinate efforts with Event Services.

Is WiFi available for my event guests?

A UWNetID is required to access the “University of Washington” wireless network on campus. Event Services can help establish temporary UWNetIDs for groups reserving our spaces. Other access questions may be directed to UW-IT.

How do I pay for my event?

You can pay using a UW budget number(UW Departments only), check, or credit card(Mastercard or Visa only). Pre-payments for non-budget number payments are due 7 days after the Reservation Confirmation has been sent out. The Pre-payment is the full estimated total detailed on your Reservation Confirmation. You can make a payment via card by calling our office at 206-221-5000 opt. 2, opt. 4 or by mailing a check to
Event Services
University of Washington
Box 353095
Seattle, WA 98195-3095

Can I store items in the room/building until my event date?

Our buildings have limited storage so event storage is granted on a case by case basis. Overnight storage within the meeting or event space is allowed so long as the client has reserved the space continuously from one day to the next. Event Services cannot guarantee the safety or security of items left in rooms for an extended period of time. Clients and guests are strongly encouraged to remove expensive or sensitive items from meeting or event spaces.
Deliveries should be timed so they arrive on the day of the event. It is important that the delivery address specify the event name, recipient and specific room to which it should be delivered. Let us know the details of the delivery before you send them so that they make it to the correct event.

I would like to put up a poster/sign for my event. How can I do this?

Event Services can provide easels to post directional or promotional signage in and around your meeting/event. Please request easels at least a week before your event. Last-minute/day-of requests for easels will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis and will be depend on the available supply of easels.

Posters/Flyers/Signs CANNOT be taped/tacked to any surface in our buildings without first being approved by Event Services. If you have advertisement materials you would like to put in our buildings, please deliver them to our office up to a week before your event. Our staff will post them in the building.

Why is labor required for my event?

Labor is required for all auditorium reservations, most multi-purpose spaces, and anytime there is food service. Our Event Assistants are the only ones allowed to touch our A/V and move furniture. They are present to help troubleshoot any issues that arise and to ensure our policies and procedures are upheld.

Food and Beverage Service FAQ

What is the difference between meal service and light snacks?

Meal service includes any food service that requires cutlery and or food that needs to be heated/held warm. Light snacks are foods that are eaten without cutlery such as cookies, veggie trays, and cheese plates.

Where can I cater meal service?

Meal service can only be served and consumed in the Mary Gates Commons(MGH 135) or the Walker Ames Room(KNE 225). MGH 135 does not have kitchen/prep area for caterers. Please discus with your Event Coordinator where to have catering setup. KNE 225 has a separate kitchen area that includes a sink and refrigerator.

Can I serve food in the auditorium I have reserved?

No food or beverages are allowed in our auditoriums. Light snacks are allowed in classrooms on a case by case basis. Light snacks can be served in the lobbies of KNE 110, KNE 120, KNE 210, KNE 220, JHN 102, and MGH 389. All food service requires an approved food permit unless Bay Laurel is catering.

Can I serve my guests meal service in shifts?

We do not allow meal service in shifts. Our room capacities are not flexible. If your number of event attendees exceeds the capacity of the multipurpose space then you may have a private reception that only serves a select number of guests.

What do I need to do in order to serve food and/or alcohol?

The Food Permit and the Alcohol Service Request must be submitted and approved in order to serve food and/or alcohol at your event. These are required to be submitted at least 30 days before the event. Off-campus groups cannot fill out the Food Permit web-form and will be sent the application as a PDF.